White-rumped Sandpipers, FM Beach, 31 May 03

    Message 1 of 2 , May 31, 2003
      All,

      I had 10-15 White-rumped Sandpipers at Little Estero Lagoon (behind the Holiday
      Inn at the south end of Ft Myers Beach/Estero Island) this AM. They were mixed
      in with quite a few peeps that were mostly Semipalmated Sandpipers with a few
      Western Sandpipers mixed in for good measure. Some were basic plumaged, and
      will thus remain nameless.

      The WRSPs were split between the large mudflat behind the nesting terns and the
      inlet area along the outer beach. There were peeps also seen foraging along the
      condominium side of the lagoon, but where outside of binocular range to safely
      id. I Also had a Common Tern and what I suspect is a first year Lesser
      Black-backed Gull that has been present for quite a while with a few Herring
      Gulls that are in terrible shape (or at least what I think are Herring Gulls, as
      their condition makes it a challenge to say for sure!).

      Charlie Ewell
      Arlyne Salcedo
      SalcedoDVM@...
    • marie gonsalo
      Message 2 of 2 , Jun 2, 2003
        Hi everybody,

        Charlie's wonderful find of White-Rumped Sandpipers continued tonight at FMB at the same two locations he indicated. A group on the mudflats (behind the nesting Least Terns) and a second group at the inlet area along the beach. The Common Tern was still present as were the Semi-palm pipers and a few Westerns. Couldn't find the 1st year LBB although I have seen it a few times this year.

        Also present, Peregrine! Made a pass at some shorebirds at the flats and all flew up. After its unsuccessful pass, it retired to the top of one of the condo buildings and moped for 20 minutes when it made another pass and disappeared from sight. Seen this species out here before but never tire of it.

        Other birds seen (no scope used, just bins) include the usual Royal and Sandwich Terns. Also one Caspian Tern. Lots of Black Skimmers on the flats. A flock of twenty plus S.B. Dowitchers, twelve or so Oystercatchers, a few Dunlin, some Black Bellied Plovers, lots of Wilson's Plovers (who, of course,are now nesting) a few Willets, one Reddish Egret, Snowy Egrets, Tri-colored Herons, lots of Laughing Gulls, only saw one skanky Herring Gull, 3 Frigatebirds, 14 absolutely gorgeous Roseate Spoonbills (they are back to using the lagoon area as their summer roosting spot), 2 Mottled Duck, 2 Red Knots at the inlet area beach side (aren't these late?),and oodles and oodles of nesting, courting, and fishing Least Terns everywhere. An attempted mating was eye opening. As he attempted to mount, he dropped his fish. She grabbed the fish and flew away. Lots of head swaying side to side by both male and female prior to the attempt. Wish I had my camera with me.

        Prairie Warblers (at least three) were singing in the Mangroves. Oystercatchers, the Least Terns, and Wilson's Plovers were all vocalizing. Sure I'm forgetting some bird/birds but that's all I can remember right now.

        Usually, I am birding here alone, but tonight I was joined by my good friend, Sue Moore. So much better to enjoy the beauty of the birds with a friend!

        Marie
        Marie Gonsalo
        Ft. Myers

        http://www.mail.com/?sr=signup