RFI: White-cheeked Pintail status

  • Mr Edward Boyd
    Message 1 of 2 , May 1, 2003
      Jim Stasz and I (visiting birders from
      Maryland)stopped at the Penbrooke location at Sheridan
      and 172th for the Purple Swamp Hen yesterday. We were
      in the park on the SW corner of that intersection when
      we found a White-cheeked Pintail on the lake. Now,
      considering the number of exotics on the lake we were
      of course VERY skeptical of this bird but were
      wondering if anyone knew if this is a known exotic or
      possibly a valid bird? The bird was not very tame.
      What can you tell us?

      Thanks for the info,

      Ed Boyd
      Westminster, MD

      http://search.yahoo.com
    • Scizortail@aol.com
      Message 2 of 2 , May 1, 2003
        Hi Ed, Jim and SWFLBirdliners,
        Welcome to Florida the land of many exotics, both natural and not.
        Unfortunately there is an exotic waterfowl collection in Pembroke Pines.
        Occasionally, White-cheeked Pintails appear at the Sheridan location. We
        have to assume they are derived from that waterfowl collection since Egyptian
        Geese and other exotics regularly show up. Because of the free flight status
        of so much exotic waterfowl in the state, including White-cheeked Pintails in
        the Pensacola area, it is unlikely that the White-cheeked will ever be proven
        to occur naturally in Florida in the future.
        Even untickable, they are a beautiful addition to a day of birding.
        Bruce

        Bruce H. Anderson
        Winter Park, FL
        scizortail@...