Sanibel Lighthouse raptors

    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 1, 2001

      I just read on the FLORIDABIRDS-L listserv Linda Baker reported 47 Broad-winged
      Hawks migrating over the Sanibel Lighthouse today (1 Oct 2001)!!

      A few other accipiters and falcons were also seen. The north wind that is
      presently in place should continue the good morning flights. The best viewing
      time seems to be from 9:00 to 11:00 AM. The best viewing area is from the area
      of the circle just in front of the lighthouse. There is a bench in front of the
      maintenance building that faces back towards the hammock. Scan the skies above
      the hammock. The falcons and accipiters often take a direct route overhead and
      across the bay towards Ft Myers Beach. The Broad-winged Hawks, however, often
      come in low and when reaching the hammock, must begin circling and riding any
      thermal or updraft present to enable them to cross the bay. This offers great
      looks for extended periods, especially as the sun is behind you in the morning.

      Regards,

      Arlyne Salcedo
      FLRBA@...