Caloosa Bird Club Fieldtrip Results 03/31/03

  • Vincent Lucas
    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 1, 2003
      All:

      Yesterday's high winds an cold temperatures (low 50's to mid 60's)
      allowed for an even 50 species to be seen on the Caloosa Bird Club's
      outing to Corkscrew Sanctuary in Collier County. There were no surprises
      or rarities seen. We had six warbler species but the hoped-for
      Prothonotary Warbler was a no-show. Our best birds were a male Painted
      Bunting; Limpkin; Ruby-throated Hummingbird; Barred Owl (heard only);
      Chipping Sparrow; Red-eyed, White-eyed and Blue-headed Vireos;
      Ruby-crowned Kinglet; Tufted Titmouse; Barn, Northern Rough-winged & Tree
      Swallows; Eastern Towhee; at least four American Goldfinch (stunning
      "canary" yellow males with black berets) and numerous Swallow-tailed
      Kites along with the other usual passerines and waders etc.

      After the "official" fieldtrip ended, Arthur & Anne Wilson, John Will and
      two other Brits whose names escape me now as they weren't part of the
      "official" fieldtrip, headed east on C.R. 846 (Immokalee Rd.) doing the
      "Big Loop" eastward through Hendry County to C.R. 833 & Government Rd. to
      I-75 and back to Naples. We had some very good birds at that time. Anne
      found a Purple Gallinule in a small farm wetland on C.R. 846 east of
      Immokalee. 2.5 miles east from the intersection of S.R. 29 & C.R. 846, we
      found a Solitary Sandpiper in a cow pond. Look for a mailbox on the north
      side of C.R. 846 with the numbers "3403" on it. The cow pond will be a
      few hundred yards further east of the mailbox on the same side of the
      road and the bird can be seen from the berm. Further along, we had a
      Crested Caracara standing along the highway. Shortly after entering
      Hendry County, at another small wetland, we found both yellowlegs, a
      dowitcher species (probable Long-billed but couldn't be certain), a few
      Least Sandpipers AND my first ever Burrowing Owl for Hendry County in a
      sandy "knoll" along a farm road. While we were there, over fifty American
      White Pelicans soared on a thermal in the brilliant sky overhead. To top
      it off, a Merlin flew by and afforded good looks.

      Moving further east in Hendry County still on C.R. 846, at yet another
      cow pond, we had a Wilson's Snipe and 15 Black-necked Stilts along with
      30+ Greater Yellowlegs.

      Government Rd. held little of interest except singing Eastern
      Meadowlarks, many Barn and Northern Rough-winged Swallows and a white
      morph of the Great Blue Heron in a canal near the Miccosukee Rodeo. The
      male vermilion Flycatcher and his Western Kingbird cohort have moved back
      to Arizona or Texas or whever they came from. With luck, they'll be back
      this fall for the third straight year. . . .

      Good birding!

      Vincent Lucas
      Naples
      vplucas@...