Banded Piping Plovers at Tigertail Beach

  • Vincent Lucas
    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 30, 2003
      All:

      While birding Tigertail Beach on Marco Island, (Collier County), Florida
      on Tuesday, March 24th, 2003, Jim & Patty Heflich (from Cleveland, OH)
      and I found two banded Piping Plovers. I sent the information in to the
      appropriate authorities and here is the report I received:

      >Vince, Interesting! The bird with the red/blue (was probably black to
      >begin with) and the alpha codes is from Nova Scotia. The second one with
      >the white flag is from the Canadian great plains probably Saskatchewan. We
      >had one on Ft. Myers Beach that we saw last year in late July that Charlie
      >Ewell has been seeing thru out the winter that was Lt. Leg: silver above
      >and red over orange below. Rt. leg: White flag above and blue below.

      The Tigertail Beach area is one of only a few Critical Conservation Areas
      in the entire state. Piping Plovers and other threatened and endangered
      species utilize this area to winter and rest to build up fat reserves for
      their northerly migrations. Yet, to this day, Collier County still uses
      the deadly chemical Fenthion for mosquito control by aerial spraying the
      area. Dead Piping Plovers and other shorebirds have been found in the
      past at Tigertail Beach as a result. . . .

      Good birding!

      Vincent Lucas
      Naples
      vplucas@...