Raptors at Sanibel Lighthouse Lee County 9/30/01

  • Vincent Lucas
    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 30, 2001
      Greetings:

      Today, Sunday, 9/30/01, a group of local birders consisting of Vince
      McGrath, Walt Winton, Charlie Ewell, Arlyne Salcedo, Clair & Bev Postmus,
      myself and several others whose names I have forgotten, converged on the
      Sanibel Lighthouse to see what migrants were still present after the
      recent passing of the cold front and accompanying torrential rains. I am
      happy to report that, although numbers of fall warblers and other
      passerines were modest, we had some nice raptor movement, including the
      following:

      Mississippi Kite -- x1 sub-adult
      Northern Harrier -- x1 female
      Peregrine Falcon -- x1
      American kestrel -- x17
      Sharp-shinned Hawk -- x7
      Broad-winged Hawk -- x12
      Merlin -- x6
      Osprey -- x2

      Warblers:

      Black-and-white Warbler -- x2 females
      Prairie Warbler -- x2
      Black-throated Blue Warbler -- x1 female
      Yellow-throated Warbler -- x2
      Ovenbird -- x2
      Palm Warbler -- x2
      Common Yellowthroat -- x2
      American Redstart -- x4

      Others:

      Scarlet Tanager -- x1 (seen by W. Winton)
      Barn Swallow -- 30-40 flyovers
      Chimney Swift -- 50 flyovers
      Western Kingbird -- x1 (distant flyby identified by V. McGrath)
      Pileated Woodpecker -- x2
      Red-bellied Woodpecker -- x4
      Blue Jay -- x2
      Gray Catbird -- x1
      Red-eyed Vireo -- x1
      White-eyed Vireo -- x2
      Brown Thrasher -- x1
      Brown-headed Cowbird -- x10

      We also noted hordes of odonates including many freshly emerging Common
      Green Darners which were hanging vertically from a saltbush as they dried
      themselves in the warm sun. Also present were many Black Saddlebags and
      migrating Wandering Gliders.

      Afterwards, several of us went over to Lakes Regional Park where we saw
      the following species:

      Warblers:

      Magnolia Warbler -- x2
      Ovenbird -- x1
      Tennessee Warbler -- x4
      Northern Parula -- x2
      Blackburnian Warbler -- x1
      Prairie Warbler -- x2
      Palm Warbler -- x2

      Also:

      Rubythroated Hummingbird -- x2
      Swainson's Thrush -- x1
      Red-winged Blackbird -- x20+
      Black Vulture -- several flyovers
      Turkey Vulture -- x1 (enroute to Park)
      Red-shouldered Hawk -- x2 (enroute to Park)

      With the latter three vultures/raptors, our totals for the day were 11.
      We missed Bald Eagle, Cooper's Hawk and Red-tailed Hawk.

      Also, at Lakes Regional Park I saw many leps including Polydamas and
      Giant Swallowtails, Fiery Skipper, Soldier, Queen, Orange-barred, Large
      Orange and Cloudless Sulphurs, White Peacock, Gulf Fritillary, Ceraunus
      Blue and Tropical Buckeye.

      If I omitted any species perhaps one of the others can fill in the
      missing birds to the list. A good day was had by one and all!

      Good birding!

      Vincent Lucas
      Naples