Devil's Garden, Hendry Co./ Six Mile Cypress P 1/25

  • McAvian@aol.com
    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 25, 2003
      Hi All,
      Led our Audubon of Southwest Florida on a field trip to Devil's Garden
      today. A good turnout despite brrr weather. Limpkin, Caracara, Sand. Crane,
      Eagle on the nest, hordes of Robins, yellow-rumps, tree swallows. A pair of
      Rough-winged Swallows.
      We found a wet field -puddle on the side of the road along SR-833 a few miles
      south of SR-832 with about 20 Long-billed Dowitchers ( calling in flight for
      added confirmation), several Wilson Snipe, killdeers, a lone least sandpiper
      and a pair each of gr. and lr. yellowlegs. yes we reached the barricade at
      the end of the Big Cypress Reservation village. At this point you can turn
      West down the dirt road for app.12 mi and will miss the great flycatcher
      site. We turned around and headed home.
      Having reached Ft. Myers early I bid the group farewell and headed for Six
      Mile Cypress Preserve and was well rewarded with a Northern Waterthrush,
      Yellow-throated Vireo, and lots of warblers, goldfinches, robins and assorted
      residents.

      McAvian@...
      Vince McGrath
      Ft. Myers,Fl.