Panhandle Birding

  • Alan W. Knothe
    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 3, 2003
      I met up this morning with Vince Lucus and his group, and we found some great birds. (Note: They found the swans yesterday at around 4:00 p.m. at Fred Gannon State Park.) Our first target bird of the day was American Woodcock. We met at Fim Blvd. before first light and waited for it to get light. (Fim Blvd is off of N. Beal Extension, the road leading to Okaloosa Co. Landfill.) At around 6:20 we had very nice looks at a WOODCOCK as it flew up out of the woods and down the road.
      Next we went to the landfill. We found several species of sparrows on the Sparrow Trail. The snipe field yielded a very nice look at HENSLOW'S SPARROW but no LeConte's. The MERLIN was still present, and we had a flyby of several WHITE-FRONTED GEESE.
      From there we headed to the city holding ponds and spray fields. The EARED GREBE was very cooperative, and the VERMILION FLYCATCHER & WESTERN KINGBIRD were easily found.
      Our next stop was the County Holding Ponds. The Scissor-tailed Flycatcher was nowhere to be found, but we did have a LARK SPARROW bringing our sparrow total to 11 species for the day.
      From there, we headed to Gulf Breeze, where we made a quick stop at Naval Live Oaks. There were 10 to 20 COMMON GOLDENEYE feeding just behind the visitor's center.
      My final stop was Ft. Pickens (the others went on to Pensacola to look for the Allen's Hummingbird) where we found a very distant RED-THROATED LOON. I ended the day at 3:45 p.m. with 83 species. Hopefully Vince and the others will have 84.
      Good Luck & Good Birding,
      Alan W. Knothe,
      The Birdman,
      Nature Tours by Alan