Birding New Year's Day -- Collier County

  • Vincent Lucas
    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 1, 2003
      All:

      Peter Murphy and I went out to do some local birding around Collier
      County and a small portion of Lee County from about 11:00AM to 4:30PM
      today to start off our 2003 year lists and recorded 78 species with the
      highlighlights being:

      EURASIAN WIGEON (x1) -- Eagle Lakes Community Park where it has been seen
      for nearly two weeks. Ten duck species were seen today including one
      Ruddy Duck at Mackle Park in Marco.

      Bronzed Cowbird (x9) -- Ditto above.

      American Avocet (x50+) -- Dog Beach (Lee County). The tide was high and
      there was a plrthora of humans and their pets but the Avocets didn't seem
      to mind as they were isolated on sandbars away from the beach.

      Magnificent Frigatebird (x2) -- Seen near Big Hickory Pass in Lee County;
      (x1) Seen from the Judge S.S. Jolly Bridge on C.R. 951 going into Marco
      Island in Collier County.

      Wilson's Snipe (x1) -- North Naples Waste Water Treatment Ponds.

      Snail Kite (x2) -- Seen on 6L'S Road south of Naples (off of U.S. Rte.
      41); (x1) -- Fritchey Rd. in Naples

      American Golfinch (x5) -- Seen on the telephone line on 6L'S Road south
      of Naples (off of U.S. Rte. 41)

      Burrowing Owl (x2) -- on Goldenrod Avenue near Marquesas Ave. in Marco.

      Eastern Bluebird (x1) -- Seen on a telephone line near the corner of
      Guilford Ave. & U.S. Rte. 41 in Naples.

      Florida Scrub-Jay (x5) -- Seen on Shell Island Rd. near Brigg's Nature
      Center in Naples.

      Eastern Towhee (x3) -- Seen on Shell Island Rd. near Brigg's Nature
      Center in Naples.

      Eastern Meadowlark (x1) -- Fritchey Rd. in Naples.

      We looked in vain for Linda Lee Baker's Harris' Hawk in Bonita Springs.
      Perhaps she'll relocate it? I'm off to the Florida Panhandle for five
      days for some "northern" birding.

      Cheers!

      Vince Lucas
      Naples