Avocets at Dog Beach

  • Kenneth Klotz
    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 18, 2002
      I visited Dog Beach to view the American Avocets yesterday afternoon and they were present in all of their beauty. Another birder was there and said he counted 175 and may have missed some since there were several huddles. Shortly after I had set up my scope, they suddenly flew off because a Bald Eagle flew over. In a couple minutes they returned and were spread out and hardly moved. I counted 192, with reasonable accuracy.The other shorebirds which have been previously mentioned by other observers were present, including a Reddish Egret doing his dance.

      Ken Klotz