Collier County Birding Highlights 11/29/02

  • Vincent Lucas
    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 29, 2002
      Greetings:

      Of the 77 species seen in Collier County today by birders Ken Klotz,
      Peter Murphy and me, these species were the highlights:

      Magnolia Warbler -- one first-winter female at the Big Cypress Bend
      Boardwalk in the Fakahatchee Strand State Preserve on U.S. Rte. 41.
      Including the Magnolia, we had a total of 8 warblers today, including
      Northern Parula, Yellow-rumped, Prairie, Pine, Palm, Black-and-white and
      Common Yellowthroat.

      Snail Kite -- seven birds actively hunting along U.S. Rte 41 in a small
      wetland adjacent to Boyne South Golf Club. This is one of the largest
      concentrations of Snail Kites we've ever seen so close to Naples. Boyne
      South Golf Club is south of C.R. 951 and north of Collier-Seminole S.P.

      Barn Owl -- one bird flushed on Birdon Rd. in the Big Cypress National
      Preserve.

      American Goldfinch -- the AMGO Express continues in Collier County with
      over 30 individuals seen coming to Ken Klotz's feeders at Paradise Pointe
      RV Park.

      Roseate Spoonbill -- five birds seen in a man-made wetland near S.R. 29
      along U.S. Rte. 41.

      Northern Shoveler -- FOTS -- several along U.S. Rte. 41 east of S.R. 29
      in the seasonal fresh-water "ponds".

      Eastern Wood-Pewee -- one at the Big Cypress Bend Boardwalk in the
      Fakahatchee Strand State Preserve on U.S. Rte. 41.

      For a complete list of species seen, please e-mail me privately.

      Good birding!

      Vincent Lucas
      Naples
      vplucas@...