Fwd: [New post] Front Finally Rolls On

    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 27, 2013
      FYI

      -------- Original message --------
      From: Badbirdz Reloaded <comment-reply@...>
      Date: 09/27/2013 5:46 AM (GMT-05:00)
      To: anhinga42@...
      Subject: [New post] Front Finally Rolls On

      NatureIsAwesome posted: "Below is a snapshot of the national map with radar and weather fronts. Use this map to get an overall feel of migration and how weather affects nocturnal migration.Holy Batman, is that bird migration?!Heavy migration was evident over the state wit"

      New post on Badbirdz Reloaded

      Front Finally Rolls On

      by NatureIsAwesome

      Below is a snapshot of the national map with radar and weather fronts. Use this map to get an overall feel of migration and how weather affects nocturnal migration.

      20130927-025625.jpg

      Holy Batman, is that bird migration?!

      Heavy migration was evident over the state with the heaviest density recorded in the panhandle the west coast and Miami. Winds were coming out of the NE over the top third of the state and NW to W over the lower half of the state. The stale front began its movement south about mid-day yesterday and should clear the state by later today. With clear skies and northerly winds behind the front, birds flew high and fast. Some of these birds will be looking for foraging habitat at first light, get out early and catch the action. As with yesterday we expect the most productive migrant taps will be places that see rain between 2-5a.m. Otherwise tried and true migrant traps will be your best bet across the state.

      Our computer is still down and we were unable to download and post the radar as usual so we are doing the second best thing. Below is a list of links to radar loops from 2am-6am.
      The regional radar is in reflectivity mode which is best used to quantify birds and to get a picture of where they are moving from. The rest of the radar links are velocity radars, these are best used to determine speed and direction of travel. With these images you are looking at light blue-dark blue returns (incoming birds) and yellow-orange (outgoing birds). The grayish line between the two colors is the line of axis, this line will give you an idea of which direction birds are entering the radar from and which direction they are flying as they exit radar range.

      Regional Radar:

      EGLIN AFB:

      TLH:

      JAX:

      TBay:

      MLB:

      MIA:

      Key West:

      As always Badbirdz depends on its readers to help us understand the magic of bird migration. We ask our readers to take a minute to email us at badbirdz-reloaded@..., post a comment on the site or share what you are seeing on our Facebook page. As a whole the Florida birding community is large and enthusiastic about bird migration, lets join together this year to make Badbirdz an integral part of every birders toolbox. Together we can track and monitor birds and learn more about this phenomenon called MIGRATION!

      Nature is Awesome
      Angel & Mariel

      Comment   See all comments

      http://badbirdz2.wordpress.com/2013/09/27/front-finally-rolls-on/