North Naples Waste Water Treatment Ponds

  • Vincent Lucas
    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 3, 2002
      Birders:

      This weekend, while running errands, I made a few brief stops at the
      North Naples Waste Water Treatment Ponds off of Goodlette-Frank Rd.
      between Vanderbilt Beach Rd. & Immokalee Rd. (C.R. 846) here in Naples.
      For a map, go to:

      http://home.earthlink.net/~vplucas/CaloosaBirdClub/HotSpots.html

      then scroll down to "North Naples Waste Water Treatment Ponds" and click
      on the "Map" hyperlink.

      The plant is building an injection well on the premises and consequently,
      they are draining down one of the ponds making excellent habitat for
      shorebirds, wading birds and ducks. Note: bird only from the sidewalk off
      of the bridge on Goodlette-Frank Rd. UNDER NO CIRCUMSTANCES ARE BIRDERS
      ALLOWED ON THE SEWAGE PLANT PROPERTY. Therefore, a scope is a must. Here
      is my list for the few brief stops I made. I'm sure there are other birds
      that I missed because my view was partially blocked by the banks of the
      impoundment, but this place is definitely worth checking out:

      Shorebirds:

      Stilt Sandpiper -- x6+
      Spotted Sandpiper -- x1
      Black-necked Stilt -- x1
      Least Sandpiper -- 50+
      Lesser Yellowlegs -- x75+ (one individual had only one leg but seemed to
      be getting his full share of insects etc.)
      Greater Yellowlegs -- x2
      Dunlin -- x10+
      Short-billed Dowitcher -- x25+
      Semipalmated Plover -- x3+
      Western Sandpiper -- few (very difficult to see because of heat shimmer)

      Wading Birds:

      Wood Stork -- x1
      Glossy Ibis -- x25+
      White Ibis -- x15
      Great Blue Heron -- x2
      Little Blue Heron -- x10+
      Tricolored Heron -- x1
      Great Egret -- x4
      Snowy Egret -- x12+

      Ducks:

      Mottled -- x50+
      Blue-winged Teal --x6+

      Plus Double-crested Cormorant; Anhinga; Red-shouldered Hawk (one with a
      rodent of some sort in its talons), Osprey etc.

      Good birding!

      Vincent Lucas
      Naples
      vplucas@...