Sod and inundation fields- Palm B Co

  • Vincent McGrath
    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 6, 2013
      Jose, Stan and I ventured forth from Ft Myers on Sunday 8/5. Our goal? 80 species. Final tally 84
      Upland Sandpiper on the increase at Six Mile Bend Sod SR-880.
      Two series of inundation fields provided thrills with 1,000s of shorebirds, dominated by Stilt Sandpiper and Black-necked Stilt. The wet areas along Browns Farm Rd were excellent for close up views, a Solitary Sandpiper stopped by briefly, a Least Bittern flew by. Gull-billed Tern sleeping among the testing Black and Least Terns. Swallows were abundant - Barn, Cliff, N Rough-winged
      The second wet area is south side of Bolles Canal Rd off US-27 south of South Bay. Although the fields are farther out a spotting scope works well. A few freshly arrived White Pelicans. Here the Black Terns were spread in a line numbering 100s, more Gull-billed and Least Terns as well.
      On the return home we dodged numerous showers we counted up to 20 Swallow-tailed Kites. In Hendry Co we turned south off of SR-80 down Lexington Pkwy and were well rewarded with what I'd have to say is a colony of Eastern Towhee of the pale eyed southern form. We had at least six males singing along with Cardinals, Mockers, Meadowlarks, a Prairie Warbler.... Finally a stop at Ortona locks produced a Bald Eagle and White-winged Dove.
      Just gettin warmed up, migration is here. So Monday I had to capture a skunk in Cape Coral and took it to CROW on Sanibel, hey lookit that! an Eastern Kingbird high atop a Seagrape, and 7 Swallow-tailed Kites circling the refuge entrance.
      Vince McGrath
      Ft Myers, Fl