Rose-ringed parakeet, House Finch

  • Monica Higgins
    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 26, 2013
      I finally found a Rose-ringed Parakeet for my year's list today. It was around 3 pm near the tennis courts at Naples Beach Hotel. I know they had been there about 4 years ago but hadn't been able to catch them there even after several stops. Today I got lucky and one flew past. Unfortunately it didn't land so I couldn't tell whether it was staying in the area. They used to nest in the large dead snag you can see there but the E. Starlings have driven them out. The superintendent of the golf course there says she sees them sporadically around the course.
      I also had a House Finch male singing today on the electrical wires on Vanderbilt Drive just south of Wiggins Pass. A couple of Gray Kingbirds were also present there.
      I had stopped earlier at Wiggins Pass to bird around noon but was unaware of the dredging operation going on in the pass. Not good for birding although I saw about 50 black skimmers and 3 Black-necked stilts out on one of the sandbars.

      Monica Higgins, Naples