Possible Black-billed cuckoo? Fw: eBird Report - Sugden Park, Apr 8, 2013

  • Monica Higgins
    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 8, 2013
      Saw a bird today that I think may be a black-billed cuckoo. Had seen a yellow-billed about 30 minutes earlier. This bird was hawking bugs like cuckoos do. It was dark gray on the back and a little light gray below. Bill was all black and down-curved. Same size as the yellow-billed. Did not see red eye ring or spots on tail. Couldn't get a picture. In looking a photos online it looked more like a juvenile than an adult although I know it's the wrong time of year for this. Also at one point it raised its feathers slightly like a ruff along the back of the head. Any ideas? I know a BBCU had been seen in the past in this park but that was in the fall.
      If you want to try to see this bird - located nearest SW corner of park. Follow trail from amphitheater, go past large oak with bench, past small foot bridge and continue toward east. As you get near the lake you will see an area along the lake where they have recently cut down the cattails. The bird was on the opposite side of the trail, feeding in the willows.

      Monica Higgins, Naples