Virginia Rail, Bailey Tract, Sanibel

  • Donald Stokes
    Message 1 of 3 , Mar 16, 2013
    We just saw a Virginia Rail at the Bailey Tract, Sanibel. It was in a small pool behind the second palm on your right, as you enter from the parking lot, just before
    the kiosk. It was feeding with a Sora. There was also a Common Yellowthroat and 2 Gray Catbirds there. Be very careful not to disturb the vegetation as it
    is very hard to see into the pond and very hard to photograph in this situation. Here are two photos taken with the Canon SX 50 with the long telephoto lens.
    Lillian and Don Stokes
    Sanibel
    Message 2 of 3 , Mar 16, 2013
      Wow, many thanks to the Stokes' for finding and posting the Virginia Rail! I was fortunate enough to be finishing up at Bunche Beach when I saw the email, making for a short trip and timely arrival. Also thanks to Judy Davis for being there and making this an easy county first for me! That tells those that may not be aware of its status in Lee County. Living here since '95, that is my first sighting, and I've only heard of a handful of others.

      Follow the directions on the original email carefully, or you'll blink and miss the small, hidden pond at the base of the second cabbage palm on the right from the entrance. If you make it to the information kiosk, back up about 25 yards. The Sora was also still present around 2PM.

      Anhinga42@....

      Sent via BlackBerry by AT&T

        Thank you, Don and Lillian. Both rails continued to show well between 2 and 4 this afternoon.

        Jim Boughton

        [Attachment(s) from Donald Stokes included below]