Re: [SWFLBirdline] RE: Le Conte's Sparrow

  • Jose V. Padilla
    Message 1 of 3 , Mar 14, 2013
      Vincent McGrath, Stan Damon and I birded the area last Sunday. We did not find the Le Conte's sparrow. Would have been a sweet bird for Lee County. We went that same day to bird the Telegraph Creek Preserve, a Lee Co. 2020 preserve near Alva. That preserve is very nice, with a well marked trail and parking, no restrooms, though. No outstanding sightings there, but we found many warblers. Alva is a great birding destination.

      José V, Padilla-López, MD.

      On Mar 13, 2013, at 5:15 PM, "Charlie Ewell" <anhinga42@...> wrote:

      All,

      Here are some more specific directions from the observer to where the Le Conte’s Sparrow was reported last week from the Harns Marsh area.

      We walked out to the canal from Terry Ave N. and then walked north along the two track on the east side of the canal. The sparrow flushed from a narrow strip (~20 feet wide) of low, brown grass between the path and the woods to the east of the path, about here: 26.645212,-81.686224

      Sent: Thursday, M arch 07, 2013 9:57 AM
      Subject: [SWFLBirdline] Le Conte's Sparrow

      All,

      As Karl mentioned recently, eBird can be a valuable tool/asset, and the following is an example of just that. I'm not sure if the map link below will work after being forwarded twice, but it shows where a Le Conte's Sparrow was reported on eBird by a very experienced birder visiting from out of state.
      I've requested a little more info on the exact location, which is the catch here. It is in the Harns Marsh area, but not the marsh proper. I really can't explain how to access what I'm guessing from the overhead satellite map is a dirt road running along the canal that connects to the Harns area that is birded. At this point, I'm recommending if you want to chase this outstanding bird for our area (they just don't push down this far south very often AND be found by birders) then take a look at the map link below and do your best to figure out how to access that spot. It might be easy once you get over there, I just can't say from personal experience.

      http://maps.google.com/?q=26.644868,-81.686211