Sanibel lighthouse

  • McAvian@aol.com
    Message 1 of 8 , Sep 29, 2002
      I led our Audubon chapter's first field trip here today. We spotted 45 plus
      species of birds. most of which Jose Padilla saw. our list-->
      Peregring Falcon 1
      Merlin 1
      Red-sh. Hawk 2imm.
      Veery, Brown Thrasher, Red-eyed Vireo,BG Gnatcatcher, Chimney Swift, Purple
      Martin, En. Kingbird, and much more
      Warblers, Blue-winged 1 imm.
      Parula 4
      Prairie 2
      Palm abundant
      Hooded 1m
      Kentucky 1m
      Blackburnian 1 fall m
      Ovenbird several
      Redstart,Am. 5
      Watertrhush sp
      A white form Reddish Egret
      McAvian@...
      Vince McGrath
      Ft. myers,Fl.
    • bpostmus
      Message 2 of 8 , Oct 4, 2002
        Hawk migration was slow but 10/3 and 10/4. On 10/3 I had 1 Cooper's hawk, 9 sharp shinned, 7 kestrels, 44 frigatebirds along with blue jays and crows.

        On 10/4 I had 1 northern harrier, 1 merlin, 2 sharp-shinned and 1 Cooper's hawk.

        This morning I helped the refuge biologist do some bird banding. We had a black-bellied plover in the net that had molted the inner primaries and was just getting the new ones. Neat to see. Does anyone reading this know how many primaries a BB Plover has? I'm thinking 10 but am not sure and this kind of info isn't so readily available. Bev Postmus, Sanibel.

      • bpostmus
        Message 3 of 8 , Apr 2, 2003
          The warblers landed at the  Sanibel lighthouse preserve because of the high winds on Sat. night.  The following have been seen since Sunday AM:   2 orchard orioles, many hooded warblers, many parulas, black and white, worm-eating, yellow throated vireo, red-eyed vireo, ovenbird, eastern kingbirds, cedar waxwings (seen most of the winter, too).   Bev Postmus, Sanibel
        • mayhill10
          Message 4 of 8 , Apr 4, 2009
            There were a few new birds this morning at the lighthouse. Magnolia, yellow throated and hooded warblers, blue headed, yellow headed and white eyed vireos, gray kingbirds, indigo buntings, and barn swallows all made appearances. Julie Long, St Charles, Il
          • Vincent McGrath
            Message 5 of 8 , Sep 11, 2012
              Hi all
              Got there late (10am) birding was good
              Steady flow of Barn Swallows, 1 Bank, 1Martin , many Gnatcatchers, a number of warblers. Kingfisher, red- eyed and an imm white-eyed vireo
              The Warblers
              Prothonotary
              Worm-eating
              Yellow
              Tennessee ( most numerous)
              Parula
              Prairie
              Am Redstart
              Common Yellowthroat
              Of note all warblers were immature
              Total warbler species for past three days has reached 16
              It's on!!
              Vince McGrath
              Ft Myers, Fl
            • Judith
              Message 6 of 8 , Apr 15, 2013
                Yellow billed cuckoo, black and white warbler, palm warbler, blue grosbeak
                By restrooms now
              • France
                Message 7 of 8 , Mar 30 5:21 AM
                  Hooded warbler along the beach path, sweet.
                  France Paulsen
                  Sanibel Florida
                • Gayle Sheets
                  Message 8 of 8 , Mar 30 9:48 AM
                    At 12:30 pm, 17 Eastern Kingbird flew into the tall strangler fig located on the secluded path between the lighthouse and the beach. They flew in by small groups. After all hung out a bit, they flew off en masse. With a frigate in the background, it was quite a wonderful sight.

                    Gayle Sheets
                    South Fort Myers

                    Sent from my iPhone