N. Waterthrush, Orange-crowned warbler, Barn Swallow

  • Bernard Master
    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 2 6:17 PM
      On 3-2-13 I found a N. Waterthrush at Bird Rookery Swamp (CREW Land & Water Trust). This site is 3 miles west of Corkscrew Swamp off of Rte 846. From 846, Immokalee Rd., make a left onto Shady Hollow Blvd and continue to parking lot.Use the shell path to the kiosk. At this point across from the porta potty in the weedy row on 3-1-13 I found and photographed an Orange-crowned Warbler. Follow the boardwalk to its end and then continue on about 200 yards to a huge underground pipe.The NOWA was seen, heard and photographed from here and the next 100 feet on both sides of the grassy path.Other birds of note were 11 Swallow-tailed Kites flying over the open fields near the shell path. I saw my first of year Barn Swallow over the field.
      Also yesterday, 3-1-13, I noted 4 Swallow-tailed Kites and 1 dark morph Short-tailed Hawk (photo) over these fields. This might be a reliable site for Short-tailed Hawks I have seen them 3 out of 8 trips here. Of major interest were c1000! Am. Robins and 42 Cedar Waxwings feeding on Brazilian pepper-tree fruit all along Shady Hollow Blvd.Today the number of robins were greatly reduced to c.200.
      Bernard Master
      Naples, FL, and Worthington, OH