White winged scoter?

  • James Boughton
    Message 1 of 2 , Jan 19, 2013

      Driving across the Sanibel causeway a few minutes ago, what appeared to be a WWSC flew right in front of us. White secondaries very prominent.

      Jim Boughton

    • James Boughton
      Message 2 of 2 , Jan 19, 2013
        On reflection, probably not.  When I got home, I found a photo in the Stokes Field Guide to the Birds of N. America (p. 51) of a juvenile red-breasted merganser in flight, with the profile and coloring of our causeway bird.  My apologies for the premature excitement.

        Jim Boughton