Common Tern, adult winter plumage

  • Don Stokes
    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 2, 2013
      Today I found a Common Tern in adult winter plumage on the beach with several Forster's, Royal, and Sandwich Terns. It was on the east end of Sanibel in front of the Colony Condos. This is an unusual plumage to see, since most Common Terns leave the US in winter. Pranty, in A Birder's Guide to Florida, calls it "very rare to rare during winter."

      A few weeks ago we also saw a juv./1st winter plumage Common Tern in the same area.

      Don Stokes, Sanibel