Re: [SWFLBirdline] sightings

  • Vincent Lucas
    Message 1 of 3 , Sep 13 7:00 PM
      Bev:

      Good sightings! You asked about Upland Sandpipers. . . . Although there
      are others, the ususal spots in South Florida for Uplands in late
      summer/early fall are in the flooded fields and sod farms near Belle
      Glade, and the same habitat near Homestead/Florida City. In Lee County,
      they're pretty uncommon as I'm sure Vince McGrath or Charlie Ewell will
      attest. Last year, a few people had one or two in the flooded fields on
      the corner of Winkler Ave. & Colonial Blvd. I've heard of no reports from
      there this year. I've not seen Upland Sandpipers in Collier County
      despite deliberately looking for them in the eastern portion of the
      county. But of course, I've only birded here for three summers full time.
      . . .

      Anyway, keep sending us those great reports!

      Good birding!

      Vince Lucas
      Naples
    • bpostmus
      Message 2 of 3 , Sep 13 9:20 PM
        This morning I birded out Alico Road to the ranch opposite the nursery just beyond the right angle bend to the south. Many white ibis, a few glossy ibis, many snowy egrets, one spoonbill, 5 each greater and lesser yellowlegs. Best find in the field was one solitary sandpiper.
        Around the field in shrubs and one utility wires there were 5 loggerhead shrikes, mockingbirds, 3 northern rough-winged swallows, gnatcatchers. Three green herons flew in just as we were leaving.
        At Lakes Park near the bridge an immature bald eagle with several primary feathers missing was harrassing an osprey carrying a fish.
        On some open fields (private property) closer to Sanibel there were killdeers, 2 pectoral sandpipers, and one upland sandpiper. I've never seen one of these in Florida, so I'm assuming this is not a common sighting. Would love to hear of other sightings of this bird.
        The Causeway Islands still had 4 least terns hanging out with a bunch of sandwitch terns.
        Thursday (12 Sept) had a brown thrasher at the end of Wildlife Drive. Also an eastern wood-pewee in the same location. Same day had 2 eastern wood-pewees at the Lighthouse, along with 5 or 6 parulas. Found a chuck-will's- widow sacked out on a branch right over the road and had a group of at least 15 nighthawks pass thru the area.
        Bev Postmus, Sanibel.

      • bpostmus
        Message 3 of 3 , Jan 1, 2003
          HI, Clair and I spent the first day of the year going thru Wildlife Drive. We had all the usual sightings of wading birds. In the mangroves across from the cross-dike we had 2 prairie warblers, 2 ovenbirds, a nd a northern waterthrush among the yellow-rumps, palms, and gnatcatchers.

          Went from there to Blind Pass and found quite quickly 5 northern gannets --- one adult and the rest immatures.

          The small flock of lesser scaup are still in Tarpon Bay, visible from the marina. Also had a common loon there.
          Bev Postmus, Sanibel