Add on to today's Caloosa Bird Club trip

  • Vincent McGrath
    Message 1 of 2 , Nov 12 5:06 PM
      Ed Becker and I stopped at south side of Franklin Lock on the way home and immediately added Bald Eagle, Limpkin, Rock Pigeon, Laughing Gull and Forster's Tern.
      Of note- ditches are drying up, hurry, the ditches along Six Mile Cypress Pkwy running south from Hammond field will sport spoonbill, stork, glossy, white ibis, assorted heron, egrets etc... For only a few more days unless it rains significantly.

      Vince McGrath
      Ft Myers, Fl
    • Margaret England
      Message 2 of 2 , Nov 13 7:45 AM

        STA5 Combined list Nov. 10, 2012 for STA5 north cells , Deer Fence Road and L1 Canal Road

        Scissor-tailed flycatchers, Kingbirds and Warblers have returned to the cypress trees at the west end of Deer Fence Canal Road near the CR835/Deer Fence Canal Road intersection.

        The next escorted STA5 trips will be  Nov. 24, Dec. 8 and 22. The  Christmas Bird Count will be held Dec. 29 (STA5-Clewiston,FLSO).

        The new " STA5 Deer Fence Trailhead" 15 min. from Big Cypress Reservation, 45 min. from Clewiston and 60 min. from LaBelle.

        Camping is available at nearby Dinner Island WMA and OK Slough State Forest. Directions to the Deer Fence Trailhead  from I-75, Immokalee, LaBelle and Clewiston and 2013 schedule are  posted at:  www.hendrygladesaudubon.org

        For information contact:

        Margaret England

        LaBelle

        www.hendrygladesaudubon.org

        Stormwater Treatment Area 5, Hendry, US-FL Nov 10, 2012 8:00 AM - 1:30 PM

        Protocol: Traveling

        14.0 mile(s)

        Comments:     STA5,  Deer Fence Road, and L1 Canal Road

        80 species

        19 participants

        Black-bellied Whistling-Duck

        Fulvous Whistling-Duck  50

        American Wigeon

        Mottled Duck

        Blue-winged Teal

        Northern Shoveler

        Northern Pintail

        Green-winged Teal

        Ring-necked Duck

        Ruddy Duck

        Pied-billed Grebe

        Wood Stork

        Double-crested Cormorant

        Anhinga

        American White Pelican

        American Bittern  4

        Great Blue Heron

        Great Egret

        Snowy Egret

        Little Blue Heron

        Tricolored Heron

        Cattle Egret

        Green Heron

        Black-crowned Night-Heron

        White Ibis

        Glossy Ibis

        Roseate Spoonbill  10

        Black Vulture

        Turkey Vulture

        Osprey

        Snail Kite  1

        Northern Harrier

        Cooper's Hawk

        Bald Eagle  2

        Red-shouldered Hawk

        Sora  4     calling

        Purple Swamphen

        Purple Gallinule

        Common Gallinule

        American Coot

        Limpkin

        Killdeer

        Black-necked Stilt

        Greater Yellowlegs

        Lesser Yellowlegs

        Least Sandpiper

        Long-billed Dowitcher

        Mourning Dove

        Common Ground-Dove

        Belted Kingfisher

        Red-bellied Woodpecker

        American Kestrel

        Peregrine Falcon  2

        Eastern Phoebe

        Western Kingbird       Deer Fence/835 intersection and L1 Dike Road

        Scissor-tailed Flycatcher  6     5 Deer Fence/835 intersection and 1 on L1 Dike Road

        Loggerhead Shrike

        White-eyed Vireo

        American Crow

        Northern Rough-winged Swallow