Re: [SpaceCoastAudubon] Red-breasted nuthatch searches

  • Jeff Bouton
    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 1 7:26 AM

      The good news here is the season has only just begun and birds like these RB Nuthatches and the "winter finches" will continue moving south throughout the winter. I was just in Cape May, NJ for their Autumn weekend (although bailed on Sunday due to a little storm you may have heard about) and Pine Siskins and Purple Finches were everywhere. Redpolls had been seen already as well.

      While there I subscribed to a cool text service they have for rare birds, and didn't unsubscribe yet because of my curiosity over the storm. On top of SP Skua today they have also reported 6 Evening Grosbeaks, and both Red & White-winged Crossbills. At any rate, keep your feeders stocked this year and study the flight calls of these winter finches. Cape May is at the same latitude as Washington DC, so if there are this many of these birds this far south this early in the season. We'll get some action here in Florida I'd think for sure! Keep your eyes & ears open everybody!

      Jeff Bouton
      Port Charlotte, FL