Sanibel Lighthouse

  • edcombs73
    Message 1 of 13 , Oct 12, 2012
      Three good sightings at Lighthouse Park this morning, Friday 10/12: A kettle of 7 Broad-winged Hawks, mostly 1st year birds. One Bay-breasted Warbler -- my first since October 17-22 last year. One Acadian Flycatcher -- my first since an October 15 only sighting last year. Ed Combs
    • schaefert90
      Message 2 of 13 , Mar 6, 2013
        As an addition- my group had 2 Great-black-backed and an adult LESSER-BLACK BACKED on Monday, 3/4/13.

        Tom Schaefer
        Hartford, WI
      • edcombs73
        Message 3 of 13 , Apr 21, 2013
          Small numbers but good variety at the Lighthouse this morning. My sightings included 1 Blue-winged Warbler, 1 Blackpoll, 1 Western Kingbird, 1 Gray Kingbird, 1 female Scarlet Tanager, 1 Baltimore Oriole, 2 Blue Grosbeaks, 2 Indigo Buntings, 3 Red-eyed Vireos, and 2 Screech Owls. Birding was better in late morning than early. Ed Combs.
        • Vincent McGrath
          Message 4 of 13 , Sep 26, 2013
            Dueling EW Pewees greeted me about 11am in between showers. The heat was hot and the ground was wet but undeterred I ventured around an unseasonally high number of visitors and construction crews. Noisy is an understatement. Still I was soon rewarded by a Tennessee Warbler and followed by Chestnut-sided, Ovenbird, and Redstart all hammock side. Another small group pier side produced Worm-eating, Magnolia, redstart, and Ovenbird. I would have gone earlier but
            I was busy dodging showers at Bunche Beach east, it was gorgeous out. A Snowy Plover and Red Knot highlights as well as a Bald Eagle swooping in and landing on the beach.
            Lighthouse Time!!!!
            Vince McGrath
            Ft Myers, Fl
          • France
            Message 5 of 13 , May 5, 2016
              Hello Bird folks;

              Following on an earlier report from James Boughton, my friend and I headed to the lighthouse with the hopes of catching sight of what had been reported.

              It was very quiet and after 2 hours of looking for the reported birds we were about to throw the towel in when we came face to face with a Black-throated Green Warbler who was famished - we could have reached over and picked him up, that's how close it was. Then shortly after that we spotted a Rose-breasted Grosbeak OMG his colors were just so spiffy, it was as if he was wearing his best Tux for a night on the town. Other than that we had some Eastern & Gray Kingbirds as well as a handful of House Finch.

              Two very different waves of migrants passing through - who knows what the rest of the day will bring.

              France Paulsen
              Sanibel, Florida
            • anhinga42@comcast.net
              Message 6 of 13 , May 6, 2016
                Facebook reported the lighthouse as "active" with migrants this AM.

                Sent via the Samsung Galaxy S® 5 ACTIVE™, an AT&T 4G LTE smartphone