Six Mile Bend Sod, Palm Bh Co

  • Vincent McGrath
    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 8, 2012
      Cha Ching Jackpot!! The Ft Myers commando hit it on another mission to the Sid farms. Our very first stop was the best. Along CR-880 we encountered a large flock of Black-bellied Plovers(282). Scanning the flock we found 2 Buff-breasted Sandpipers, 1 Long-billed Dowitcher, 1 Dunlin, numerous Ruddy Turnstones, app. 120 Least Sandpipers and on Clare scanning 2!! Am Golden Plovers. A Merlin swooped in and lifted the flock, great looks at the Goldens in flight. 73 spp on the day
      There is an oasis of sorts farther east on the north side, here we found Ovenbird, N Waterthrush, Palm, Yellow-throated, Parula, Prairie, and Yellowthroat plus W-e Vireo, Catbird, and Brown Thrasher.
      For raptors several Osprey, Kestrels, Red-shouldered, 1ea. Red-tailed and Harrier, 3ea. Merlin and Cooper's Hawk, 2 Snail Kites ( Hendry Co),
      5 Caracara, Bald Eagle, many Turkey and Black Vultures.
      Whoooooooo hoooo!!!!
      Vince McGrath
      Ft Myers, Fl