Sept 7 in south central FL

  • Ken Blackshaw
    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 8, 2002
      Dear 'brainers,

      The Englewood group took a look at the area south of Lake Okeechobee Saturday, following the excellent guidance from Russ Kruetzman.

      We easily found two of the anis where they were supposed to be but struck out on the Barn Owls. We also had no luck finding sod fields in the proper stage for the large flocks of herons and shorebirds reported earlier. The ones near the antenna south of South Bay were now being mowed.

      But we did have a rather good time in the Belle Glade Marina and Campground out beyond the dike around the lake. It seemed to me as we ate lunch at a rather pleasant little shaded picnic table that the area was like a little oasis in this huge sea of grass and water in this part of Florida. Indeed with a little calling, we discovered the trees to be full of warblers and gnatcatchers. We had excellent looks at Black and Whites, Redstarts (including a marvelous adult male), Prairies, Yellow-throateds, Parulas, and at least a fleeting look at a Hooded.

      Also in this area was a flock of over 200 Rough-winged Swallows. They too responded to squeaking and the whole flock swirled around our heads for several moments. Another squeaking fan was the immature Red-tail that came shouldering his way through the trees to perch right over our heads and stare meaningfully down at us. We had just had our lunch and I think he was looking for his.

      So, we had a very enjoyable day -- not too hot, with the cloud cover and the pleasant southeasterly breeze.
      Ken Blackshaw
      Amateur Radio W1NQT (Never Quits Talking)
      Englewood on Florida's SW Coast
      View Ken's Home Page