Today's follow up to Sanibel Lighthouse and causeway

  • Vincent McGrath
    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 28, 2012
      After leaving Jose yesterday I found 2 more Common Terns on the next causeway island which was nearly flooded. So cool driving in the ocean but I wouldn't recommend it. Today there were far fewer birds but more Least Terns and no black or common terns. No swallows, dozen Eastern Kingbirds and a Gray. Actually there was lots more activity inland. Time to scan the large field by the Shell Point clubhouse- turn onto Shell Point Blvd off of Summerlin then turn r. Into the golf course flow the short road to the clubhouse you will see shorebirds in the large field on your right- please be discreet. There are several Pectorals mixed in with 100+ Short-billed Dowitchers of many plumages but many are calling distinctively, a few least and killdeer- now is the time, also an Eagle flew over about 20' high whew!

      Vince McGrath
      Ft Myers, Fl