Whimbrel at Bunche Beach

    Message 1 of 3 , Jun 1, 2012

      I received reports from Gail Campbell and Ed Combs that a Whimbrel was present yesterday, Thurs 31 May, at Bunche Beach, Ft Myers.

      Cape Coral Friends of Wildlife info:

      http://www.ccfriendsofwildlife.org/

      Lee County Bird Patrol info:

      http://www.birdpatrol.org/

      SWFL Birdline info:

      FL Ornithological Society info:

      http://www.fosbirds.org/

    • anhinga42@comcast.net
      Message 2 of 3 , Jun 1, 2012
        Vince Lucas passed along a report of two Whimbrel at the Dog Beach sandbar area of Lovers Key nearly every day for the past two weeks, and a Long-billed Curlew at the Little Estero Island Critical Wildlife Area of Ft Myers Beach last week.

        Charlie
        Sent via BlackBerry by AT&T

        Message 3 of 3 , Jun 2, 2012
          The Whimbrel was still present this evening, located by itself on the flats to the left, or east of the parking area.

          There are still a few migrants (breeding plumage) present, with 20+ Semipalmated Sandpipers, 2 Western Sandpipers, 1 Dunlin, a handful of Ruddy Turnstones, Sanderlings, Short-billed Dowitchers, and Black-bellied Plovers, and Semipalmated Plovers. A few resident Wilson's Plovers and American Oystercatchers were present. Non-breeding immatures that are potential over-summering birds included 1 Dunlin, 1 Ruddy Turnstone, and a few each of Sanderlings, Semipalmated Plovers, Western Willets, and easily 200+ Short-billed Dowitchers!

          Charlie

          Sent via BlackBerry by AT&T

          From: anhinga42@...
          Sender: SWFLBirdline@yahoogroups.com