Whoopers yes - Englewood Group

  • Ken Blackshaw
    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 2, 2002
      Dear 'brainers,

      The Englewood Friday group, this week, Pic Bailey, Mary Dommermuth, Dave Smith, and myself, journeyed nearly 400 miles round trip today and were successful in finding Florida's Whooping Cranes. Many thanks to Wes Biggs for passing along his experience in finding these tall white birds.

      We saw five of them, with a similar sized group of Sandhills (actually the Sandhills seemed about a third smaller), at the Live Oaks location just north of Joe Overstreet Road on the East side of Lake Kissimmee. It was quite a marvelous experience.

      The photos are courtesy of Mary Dommermuth's new digital camera and Dave Smith's Kowa scope.

      We also had a rather astounding 17 Caracaras, most of which were near where Rt. 27 crosses Rt. 70, between Arcadia and Okeefenokee. The first was a group of five, fraternizing with some Black Vultures, working a carcass right next to the highway -- superb views of them sitting on fence posts. The final two were on Rt. 72, just a mile or so east of I-75, near the Episcopal Church, flying to the west! These were the first Caracaras I'd seen in Florida so I was amazed to see so many in a single day.

      Wonderful day in the field.

      Ken Blackshaw
      Amateur Radio W1NQT (Never Quits Talking)
      Englewood on Florida's SW Coast
      View Ken's Home Page