Re: [FlaBirding] Fwd: [BRDBRAIN] St. Petersburg CBC question

  • Jeff Bouton
    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 26, 2011
      Dave and all,

      Regarding your question 'why haven't they expanded inland?....' These birds don't seem to be utilizing native habitats as much as artificial habitats created by developers planting various palms and other tropical plantings. The vast majority of the state away from the coast seems to consist of Oak Hammocks, Cypress swamp, remnants of native prairie, or more likely a mix of the above with pasture lands. Given this, I don't think you should ever expect to see Black-hoodeds inland as they don't utilize they habitats even where large concentrations exist.

      Despite what is happening in Pinellas county, the bird is indeed expanding greatly particularly along the east coast where they seem to occur along the entire coastline in proper habitat from St. Augustine all the way through the central Keys (perhaps more). I now in my experience I've seen them in proper habitats all along the East coast everywhere. I fully expect this species in proper habitats here on any day of birding. I understand the resistance by committees to call something established because if it crashes they are worried their reputations will be tarnished. However, it's unfortunate that much of the committee is making decisions based on inaccurate data or their personal recollections from trips decades ago.

      Best,

      Jeff Bouton
      Port Charlotte, FL
      jbouton2@...