RE: Recent Snail Kite Sightings [Harns Marsh]

  • Floyd, Chris
    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 18, 2011

      Thanks to the many readers of this list who responded to my request with directions to Harns Marsh in Lehigh Acres.  I visited there on Saturday, April 9 and saw 5 Snail Kites, some quite close.

      All of my Snail Kites were in female-type plumage.  What is the ratio of adult males  typical at this site?  Is there a season when adult males may be more evident there?

      I also had a wonderful show of Limpkins (no chicks), Swallow-tailed Kites right overhead, and a fair view of two Sandhill Cranes out in the middle.

      It’s a wonderful spot!

      Thanks again,

      Chris Floyd