Sanibel Lighthouse

  • dori.sosensky
    Message 1 of 11 , Apr 1, 2011
      Lynn James and I thought we would check out the Lighthouse after the front this morning. We are trying to learn the local weather patterns and even though the timing of the storm didn't look quite right we thought we would try and take a look.

      It was very slow but there were a few birds. We had 2 Northern Parulas, 1 Yellow-throated Warbler, 1 Black and White Warbler, 1 Ovenbird,1 Prairie Warbler, several Grey Catbirds. We just missed a hummer going by spotted by Tom.

      Quiet, but a lovely place on a beautiful morning. Maybe next front there will be more.

      Dori

      Dori Sosensky
      North Fort Myers, FL
      East Haven, CT
    • mayhill10
      Message 2 of 11 , Apr 6, 2011
        The Sanibel Lighthouse birding finally picked up last night and today with numerous migrants(and birders) appearing, though not in huge numbers. Two prothonotaries were spotted last night along with grey and eastern kingbirds and vireos. Today we had numerous indigo buntings,a painted bunting,a few hooded warblers,a small flock of orchard orioles, vireos, palm warblers. Others saw a summer tanager(I am still looking for it!)Especially fun to watch was a red bellied woodpecker harassing a screech owl in a palm snag. They apparently both feel the tree or hole is theirs. The owl stayed put and seemed to be ignoring the woodpecker. Julie Long
      • Gail
        Message 3 of 11 , Oct 9, 2012
          Yesterday at the Sanibel lighthouse ]
          - male & female Black-throated Blue Warbler
          It was pretty quiet - Hope that changes soon.
          FEMALE BLACK-THROATED BLUE WARBLER 10.jpg
          BLACK-THROATED BLUE WARBLER  10.jpg
        • edcombs73
          Message 4 of 11 , Oct 12, 2012
            Three good sightings at Lighthouse Park this morning, Friday 10/12: A kettle of 7 Broad-winged Hawks, mostly 1st year birds. One Bay-breasted Warbler -- my first since October 17-22 last year. One Acadian Flycatcher -- my first since an October 15 only sighting last year. Ed Combs
          • schaefert90
            Message 5 of 11 , Mar 6, 2013
              As an addition- my group had 2 Great-black-backed and an adult LESSER-BLACK BACKED on Monday, 3/4/13.

              Tom Schaefer
              Hartford, WI
            • edcombs73
              Message 6 of 11 , Apr 21, 2013
                Small numbers but good variety at the Lighthouse this morning. My sightings included 1 Blue-winged Warbler, 1 Blackpoll, 1 Western Kingbird, 1 Gray Kingbird, 1 female Scarlet Tanager, 1 Baltimore Oriole, 2 Blue Grosbeaks, 2 Indigo Buntings, 3 Red-eyed Vireos, and 2 Screech Owls. Birding was better in late morning than early. Ed Combs.
              • Vincent McGrath
                Message 7 of 11 , Sep 26, 2013
                  Dueling EW Pewees greeted me about 11am in between showers. The heat was hot and the ground was wet but undeterred I ventured around an unseasonally high number of visitors and construction crews. Noisy is an understatement. Still I was soon rewarded by a Tennessee Warbler and followed by Chestnut-sided, Ovenbird, and Redstart all hammock side. Another small group pier side produced Worm-eating, Magnolia, redstart, and Ovenbird. I would have gone earlier but
                  I was busy dodging showers at Bunche Beach east, it was gorgeous out. A Snowy Plover and Red Knot highlights as well as a Bald Eagle swooping in and landing on the beach.
                  Lighthouse Time!!!!
                  Vince McGrath
                  Ft Myers, Fl