RE: [SWFLBirdline] Bird articles and nesting Cooper's Hawks info

  • DWassme1
    Message 1 of 3 , Jul 9 1:18 PM
      We have had a Cooper's hawk hanging around our neighborhood in East Tamp
      all summer long. Saw it just two days ago.

      Doug Wassmer &Lilian Saul
      Tampa, Fl
      Dwassme1@...

      Message 2 of 3 , Jul 9 4:16 PM
        In a message dated 7/9/02 2:01:41 PM, Anhinga42@... writes:

        << The Birdlife of Florida by Stevenson and Anderson (1994) has no documented
        breeding
        records south of Martin County and possibly Glades County on their range
        map... >>

        Hi Charlie and SWFLBirdliners,

        When I was but a mere tadpole living in Central Florida, Cooper's Hawks were
        extremely rare breeders in the Florida peninsula. As has happened with so
        many of our bird-of-prey species, and the banning of DDT, the Cooper's Hawk
        has regained it's historic breeding range and is an uncommon breeding species
        over most of the upper two-thirds of the peninsula.

        We now have a new, abundant element to our avifauna, a snack if you will, for
        our bird eaters, and the Cooper's Hawk is a big bird eater (it doesn't eat
        really big birds though, but it does eat numbers of medium to small ones).
        The Eurasian Collared-Dove is a major dietary item for many hawks. I know of
        several roosts, consisting of hundreds of collared-doves in Central Florida,
        where Cooper's Hawks have taken up residence and make regular forays for dove
        lunch and dove dinner. So expect the Cooper's Hawk to increase it's range,
        and probably become an uncommon South Florida breeder with the smorgasbord of
        Mourning, White-winged and Rock doves, Eurasian Collared-Doves and Common
        Ground-Doves. I have received reports from several South Florida birders who
        have noticed an increase of wintering hawks in the urban areas, especially
        Short-tailed Hawks. This could be a result of the abundance of prey species
        now available in the cities.

        Try to locate those nests to verify breeding. Once the young are able to
        fly, they may disperse to non-breeding areas.

        As always, many thanks to Charlie for maintaining the Florida (sans the
        panhandle)
        RBA-thanks, Charlie.

        Good birding to all,

        Bruce