FW: [BRDBRAIN] Mangrove Cuckoos

    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 22, 2011

      Interesting report on Mangrove Cuckoo at Ding Darling below.

      Cape Coral Friends of Wildlife info:

      http://www.ccfriendsofwildlife.org/

      Lee County Bird Patrol info:

      http://www.birdpatrol.org/

      SWFL Birdline info:

      FL Ornithological Society info:

      http://www.fosbirds.org/

      Sent: Tuesday, February 22, 2011 12:11 PM
      Subject: [BRDBRAIN] Mangrove Cuckoos

      Greetings birders,

      Just back from a wonderful two weeks in Florida . We were very fortunate to come across two Mangrove Cuckoos during our spell in the south. One, a calling bird at the well described spot (Pranty 2005,p. 258) at the end of the paved road on Saddlebunch Key, accessed from Sugarloaf Key (CR 939) on February 15th. Another gave incredible views to tens of admirers at J. N. Ding Darling NWR on Sanibel Island on February 17th. This bird was by the road close to the 'cross dike' access and parking area at Mile 2. I took a few pics through my scope and bins;
      http://pioneerbirding.blogspot.com/2011/02/fl-mangrove-cuckoo-0217.html
      We also heard about another Mangrove Cuckoo seen that morning at Mile 3.5 on the wildlife drive on the refuge.

      We came across a few other notable birds on our trip;

      1 Worm-eating Warbler associating with a Black-and-White Warbler and an Ovenbird at Dagney Johnson Key Largo Botanical State Park on Feb 13th.

      1 Cape May Warbler on Saddlebunch Key at the spot described above for Mangrove Cuckoo.

      31 Bronzed Cowbirds and a Lincoln 's Sparrow (with a Swamp Sparrow) at Eagle Lake Mitigation Site in the Naples area on Feb 18th.

      And, of course, the long staying La Sagra's Flycatcher at Bill Baggs Cape Florida State Park, which showed fantastically well for nearly forty minutes in the vicinity of the restrooms (the block close to the frequently mentioned white gate) and south from there on Feb 12th.

      Best birding,

      James

      James P. Smith
      Gill, MA
      http://pioneerbirding.blogspot.com/

      To subscribe, unsubscribe or view archives of the brdbrain listserv list, please visit us on the web at: http://listserv.admin.usf.edu/archives/brdbrain.html To set to no mail: send a message "SET BRDBRAIN NOMAIL" to LISTSERV@... Report any problems to the listserv administrator: listadmin@... ____________________________________________________________________________