Bird articles and nesting Cooper's Hawks info

    Message 1 of 3 , Jul 9, 2002

      Here are some recent articles in the Ft Myers News-Press. Click on the link if
      you do not receive this paper and would like to read about:

      Wood Stork nesting at Corkscrew Swamp Sanctuary:

      http://www.news-press.com/news/today/020706corkscrew.html

      Fireworks and nesting birds in Estero Bay:

      http://www.news-press.com/news/today/020706birds.html

      On a separate note, there are definitely a few nesting pairs of Cooper's Hawks
      here in Cape Coral. I have had adults and juveniles hunting or roosting in my
      neighborhood during the summer months both presently and last June-July. I was
      told of a successful nest with 5 fledglings at Pelican Elementary, that a
      follow-up visit recently did find 4 juveniles in the area of the nest! I found
      an adult and a juvenile at a nest in NE Cape Coral 4 years ago.

      I am curious of any other local (SW Florida) summer season sightings of Cooper's
      Hawks the past few years, as I doubt this is a Cape Coral only phenomenon. The
      Birdlife of Florida by Stevenson and Anderson (1994) has no documented breeding
      records south of Martin County and possibly Glades County on their range map
      (which is nicely broken down by county).

      Regards,

      Arlyne Salcedo
      FLRBA@...
    • DWassme1
      Message 2 of 3 , Jul 9, 2002
        We have had a Cooper's hawk hanging around our neighborhood in East Tamp
        all summer long. Saw it just two days ago.

        Doug Wassmer &Lilian Saul
        Tampa, Fl
        Dwassme1@...

[...]

        Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to
        http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/
      • Scizortail@aol.com
        Message 3 of 3 , Jul 9, 2002
          In a message dated 7/9/02 2:01:41 PM, Anhinga42@... writes:

          << The Birdlife of Florida by Stevenson and Anderson (1994) has no documented
          breeding
          records south of Martin County and possibly Glades County on their range
          map... >>

          Hi Charlie and SWFLBirdliners,

          When I was but a mere tadpole living in Central Florida, Cooper's Hawks were
          extremely rare breeders in the Florida peninsula. As has happened with so
          many of our bird-of-prey species, and the banning of DDT, the Cooper's Hawk
          has regained it's historic breeding range and is an uncommon breeding species
          over most of the upper two-thirds of the peninsula.

          We now have a new, abundant element to our avifauna, a snack if you will, for
          our bird eaters, and the Cooper's Hawk is a big bird eater (it doesn't eat
          really big birds though, but it does eat numbers of medium to small ones).
          The Eurasian Collared-Dove is a major dietary item for many hawks. I know of
          several roosts, consisting of hundreds of collared-doves in Central Florida,
          where Cooper's Hawks have taken up residence and make regular forays for dove
          lunch and dove dinner. So expect the Cooper's Hawk to increase it's range,
          and probably become an uncommon South Florida breeder with the smorgasbord of
          Mourning, White-winged and Rock doves, Eurasian Collared-Doves and Common
          Ground-Doves. I have received reports from several South Florida birders who
          have noticed an increase of wintering hawks in the urban areas, especially
          Short-tailed Hawks. This could be a result of the abundance of prey species
          now available in the cities.

          Try to locate those nests to verify breeding. Once the young are able to
          fly, they may disperse to non-breeding areas.

          As always, many thanks to Charlie for maintaining the Florida (sans the
          panhandle)
          RBA-thanks, Charlie.

          Good birding to all,

          Bruce