Message from Jessica Steiner: Banded Loggerhead Shrike observations Requested

  • Margaret
    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 10, 2010
      Hello Margaret,
      I am hoping you can post the following announcement/request for me on SW FLbirdline. I see that there have been no postings since Oct 16 so if SW FLbirdline is no longer viable then do what you can-- ie send this info where it may do some good. I got your email from the CBC compilor list and I monitor bird lists at surfbirds.com . It would be impossible to join all the birdlines in the south eastern States so I appreciate any help you can give me.

      Dan Bone, Wildlife Preservation Volunteer (the request starts on the next line)

      Banded Loggerhead Shrike Observations Requested: Christmas Bird Counts and all winter
      Much time and effort has been put into Loggerhead Shrike research and recovery in Ontario, Canada, where the species is critically endangered. Breeding shrikes found in Ontario are banded with metal and/or colour leg bands in an effort to address the greatest knowledge gap for recovery of Ontario shrikes -- migration routes and wintering areas.
      We are asking for your help by determining if any Loggerhead Shrikes you find are banded. Report BANDED Loggerhead Shrikes sightings to Jessica Steiner jessica@... Wildlife Preservation Canada. Of greatest importance are shrikes banded with a silver band on right leg and red band on left leg OR a red band over silver on the left leg ONLY -- these birds are carrying 'geolocator' tags and must be captured to retrieve the tag, which will provide information on their migration route.
      We have more information about the recovery programme, banding colour coding and the reporting of sightings in a PDF file found on the Wildlife Preservation Canada website: for a direct link, click here: http://www.wptc.org/wildlife/USshrikeW2010-11.pdf .
      Please feel free to forward this information to others, particularly club newsletters, cbc compilers and other birding organizations.
      Thank you for your assistance.
      Dan Bone, Wildlife Preservation Canada (volunteer), 705-887-4691, dan.bone@..., ( dan dot bone at xplornet dot calm) Fenelon Falls, Ontario, Canada
      Jessica Steiner
      Species Recovery Biologist
      Wildlife Preservation Canada
      RR#5 5420 Highway 6 North,
      Guelph ON N1H 6J2
      Tel: 519-836-9314 and toll free 1-800-956-6608
      Fax: 519-836-8840
      jessica@...
      www.wildlifepreservation.ca