ID assistance needed for unfamiliar tropical bird

  • Dena
    Message 1 of 2 , Jul 15, 2010
      I recently returned from a vacation in Cozumel. It was not a birding trip, but you birders know that EVERY trip is a birding trip... you know what I mean. Anyway, being from NJ I have extremely limited knowledge of tropical birds, but you SWFL birders may know this immediately, so I request your expert assistance.

      At the foot of the lighthouse in Faro Celerain Eco Park was a hedgerow that hosted about 5 of the birds shown in this photo. My attempts to ID this through my not-great Caribbean field guides have failed. Can anyone assist? It sported a striking rust-colored back, a black head and throat, a bluish or white finch-like bill, and a striking black and white belly. This is a very busy tourist area, and the birds seemed not to mind all the human activity. Size was comparable to a large sparrow or finch, smaller than a robin.

      http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=30836312&l=4edef53b4f&id=1214964770

      Thanks in advance,

      Dena Temple
      Atlantic Highlands, NJ (but SWFL at heart)
      denat01 at verizon.net
    • Jeff Bouton
      Message 2 of 2 , Jul 15, 2010

        Hey Dena,

        Your mystery bird is a newer introduction so not covered in most guides. A small finch/seedeater relative native to India, the Tricolored Munia (Lonchura malacca)

        http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tricoloured_Munia

        Best,

        Jeff Bouton

        Port Charlotte, FL