Our vacation report

  • paul84727
    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 8, 2010
      Hi all in SW Florida,I posted a few months ago asking for advice on birding locations ahead of our vacation.We have just returned home to rainy England so thought i'd post a quick summary of some sightings.
      After spending a week in Kissimmee we travelled to Sanibel on Memorial day.Bird wise we found it to be very quiet with very few passerine type birds about at all,apart from lots of Cardinals and Mocking birds.Terns and beach waders were also in short supply this year.Highlights though were a juvenile northern gannet seen flying past "our" beach by sanibel arms west on east gulf drive,and then seen again(or another bird)from the captiva cruises dolphin watch boat trip on sunday 6th June. A swallow tailed kite seen over the eastern end of ding darling reserve on june 7th and then as we approached the causeway to head for the airport a bald eagle(probably juvenile flew over).
      We failed to locate any burrowing owls at the Cape coral library though lots of nest sites seen.Also visited Bunche beach preserve for the first time but at high tide so not much about.We loved the new parking area and elevated restrooms.I'll expect to hear lots of good bird reports from here later in the year.
      I failed to find any hummingbirds or bluebirds,as asked about in my previous post.
      All in all it was perhaps our least productive year on sanibel,bird wise. I know its probably not the best time of year but we hoped to find more!
      thanks for all the replies to my last post,we hope to come back again one day but as I funded this holiday using some of my redundancy(severance)pay from my last job,we will have to see!
      Paul
      www.nutbags.co.uk