Extraordinary Mangrove Cuckoo Viewing at Ding Darling

  • Floyd, Chris
    Message 1 of 2 , Apr 12 6:40 PM

      This afternoon at about 12:30, I had the good fortune to discover a very cooperative Mangrove Cuckoo on the Wildlife Drive in the vicinity of mileage 3.1-3.2.  I was specifically looking and listening for the species when I heard this bird give its distinctive full “song” on the left side of the road in front of me.  The mangroves were only “one deep” here, and I easily located the bird at eye level in the bush from where it had called.  It stayed right next to the road for the next 45 minutes, giving wonderful close views to me, my wife, and many others who luckily happened along and had the  interest to ask what was up.  The others including some birders and some good photographers, including some who sent me their stunning photographs, including one frame filler of just the bird’s head.  I will ask them to make their photos publicly available, perhaps by posting to this list a link to their site.

      All for now; early rise tomorrow.

      Chris Floyd

      Lexington, MA

      chrisf@...

    • Floyd, Chris
      Message 2 of 2 , Apr 13 4:14 AM
        Here is a link to the great photos of Steven Koestenblatt:

        http://sandcphoto.com/mangrovecuckoo/

        Thank, Steve and Carolyn!

        Chris Floyd
        Lexington, MA