Swallow-tailed Kites - no Prairie Warblers?

  • Ken Blackshaw
    Message 1 of 3 , May 27, 2002
      Hi SW Florida Birders,

      This will serve as my test to verify I can send a note to this group. Mary Dommermuth has reported Swallow-tailed Kites over Englewood the past two days. This is somewhat unusual this close to the Gulf.

      Normally I hear Prairie Warblers singing in the Mangroves along Beach Road. Twice I've jogged along there in the past few days and have heard none. I'm wondering if others are finding them in their normal breeding haunts.
      Ken Blackshaw
      Amateur Radio W1NQT (Never Quits Talking)
      Englewood on Florida's SW Coast
      View Ken's Home Page

      Message 2 of 3 , May 27, 2002
        Hi Ken,

        I have not been out to any mangrove areas lately, but have heard others mention a lack of Prairie Warblers in that habitat the past couple years. I haven't been out to Ft Myers Beach this spring, but did notice a lack of their presence last year (at least). They could easily be heard singing as you walked past the mangroves out to Little Estero Lagoon.

        Regards,

        Arlyne Salcedo
        FLRBA@...

        Charlie Ewell
        Arlyne Salcedo
        FLRBA@...

        This will serve as my test to verify I can send a note to this group. Mary Dommermuth has reported Swallow-tailed Kites over Englewood the past two days. This is somewhat unusual this close to the Gulf.

        Normally I hear Prairie Warblers singing in the Mangroves along Beach Road. Twice I've jogged along there in the past few days and have heard none. I'm wondering if others are finding them in their normal breeding haunts.
        Ken Blackshaw
        Amateur Radio W1NQT (Never Quits Talking)
        Englewood on Florida's SW Coast
        View Ken's Home Page

        Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

      • marie gonsalo
        Message 3 of 3 , May 28, 2002
          Hi everybody,

          This spring, for the first time ever, I heard and then saw 1 Prairie Warbler singing in the beach side mangroves at Little Estero Lagoon. It was so neat! He looked really sharp in his new suit of breeding plumage!

          I continue to see Swallow-Tailed Kite in Lee County. Just one at a time. The latest was a few days ago near the entrance to the Brooks on Route 41 in Estero near the N. Bonita line. My biggest sighting of SWT. Kite this year were 6 over Corkscrew Marsh (not Swamp) earlier this spring as I was out looking for early spring wildflowers.

          Take care,
          Marie

          Marie Gonsalo
          BSeaside@...
          Swflbirder@...
          Ft. Myers, FL
          > I have not been out to any mangrove areas lately, but have heard others mention a lack of Prairie Warblers in that habitat the past couple years. I haven't been out to Ft Myers Beach this spring, but did notice a lack of their presence last year (at least). They could easily be heard singing as you walked past the mangroves out to Little Estero Lagoon.
          >
          > Regards,
          >
          > Charlie
          >
          > Charlie Ewell
          > Arlyne Salcedo
          > Cape Coral, FL
          > Anhinga42@...
          > FLRBA@...
          >
          > Charlie Ewell
          > Arlyne Salcedo
          > Cape Coral, FL
          > Anhinga42@...
          > FLRBA@...

          Sign-up for your own FREE Personalized E-mail at Email.com
          http://www.email.com/?sr=signup