Target Sparrows

  • kacressman
    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 10, 2009
      Hi all,

      I've got a friend coming to town next week, and he's got some target birds that we're not sure where to find. I shouldn't have a problem getting him a burrowing owl. The stumpers are sparrows. Here's his wish list:

      Nelson's Sparrow
      Saltmarsh Sparrow
      Cape Sable Seaside Sparrow
      Bachman's Sparrow - I've heard of these at Babcock-Webb; any other place we should try?

      He also mentioned gull-billed tern. The only one I've ever seen was at Bunche Beach (it was with this same friend, and it took us a long time to figure out the ID. Luckily it just kept dive-bombing the wrack line until we got it). Do we just have to hope for luck?

      One final thing is that he's never seen a gannet - how likely is it that we'll be able to spot one from the beach if we just look long and hard?

      Thanks!
      Kim Cressman
      Cape Coral
      kacressman AT yahoo.com