Stilt Sandpiper still present at Six Mile Cypress Parkway Publix near Colonial Blvd, Ft Myers (Lee County)

    Message 1 of 2 , Oct 9, 2009

    Subject: Stilt Sandpiper still present

    All,

    Here is a nice comparison between a Stilt Sandpiper and a Lesser Yellowlegs.  The Stilt Sandpiper is the smaller, paler bird with the slight droop to the bill.  You can see the different facial pattern nicely between the Stilt and Lesser Yellowlegs, with the Stilt showing the white supercilium (eyebrow) and chin/neck vs. the Lesser’s gray-brown face and neck area that does not contrast as much.  You will need to sort through quite a few Lesser Yellowlegs if you look for the Stilt!  I stopped by the Publix on the east side of Six Mile Cypress Pkwy (a short distance south of Colonial Blvd ) that has a recently cleared field (that is still holding some water) between the store and Six Mile.  There is also nice shorebird habitat adjacent to the store on the south and east sides.  The birds move between all the wet areas.  You can park in the Publix lot, or all the way down at the south-end access road.  A Wilson’s Snipe was also reported previously by Vince McGrath, but I did not see it on this visit.  Shorebirds present today were:

    Killdeer

    Pectoral Sandpiper (2)

    Stilt Sandpiper (1)

    Lesser Yellowlegs (30+)

    Greater Yellowlegs (~10)

    Spotted Sandpiper (1)

    Least Sandpiper (100+): Beware of the Least Sandpipers with mud-covered legs!  They look like Semipalmated Sandpiper at first glance.  There may be Semiplamated present, but I couldn’t be sure today!)

    Cape Coral Friends of Wildlife/Burrowing Owl Festival info:

    http://www.ccfriendsofwildlife.org/

    Lee County Bird Patrol info:

    http://www.birdpatrol.org/

    SWFL Birdline info:

[...]