tricolor herons

  • bgunnels4
    Message 1 of 2 , Aug 14, 2009
      Howdy all,

      I have a student working with tri-color herons. Can any suggests some natural areas where he can reliably find foraging tri-color heron?

      Thank you in advance.

      Charles (billY) Gunnels
    • Charlie Ewell and Arlyne Salcedo
      Message 2 of 2 , Aug 15, 2009

        Charles and All,

        I’ve seen a few Tri-colored Herons recently at Harns Marsh in Lehigh.  They are usually present at Bunche Beach (except at high tide), Little Estero Lagoon (south end of Ft Myers Beach), and Lakes Park to name a few locations.  Directions of the locations mentioned above can be found at the Caloosa Bird Club’s website:

        http://www.caloosabirdclub.org/

        Click on the “Local Birding Hot Spots” link along the left hand column of the home page.  Harns Marsh is not on the website yet, so directions are below:

        From I-75, take Exit 136 ( Lee Blvd ) east to Sunshine Blvd in Lehigh Acres. Turn left on Sunshine Blvd and drive north past the Able Canal . Just beyond the canal, the road curves and 31st St. is on the left. Turn left on 31st and make an immediate right onto Ruth Av. Drive north on Ruth Av to 38th St. Turn left on 38th and drive to the parking area at the end of the road.  Snail Kites, Limpkins, and wading birds are present this time of year. Many times you can see the target birds from the parking area, but if needed you are permitted to walk along the gated dirt road.  No restrooms available.

        Lee County Bird Patrol info:

        http://www.birdpatrol.org/

        Cape Coral Friends of Wildlife/Burrowing Owl Festival info:

        http://www.ccfriendsofwildlife.org/

        SWFL Birdline info:

        FL Ornithological Society info:

        http://www.fosbirds.org/