FW: REDHEAD W/ CANVASBACK in Cape Coral!!!

    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 4, 2008
      The latest on the Cape's bay ducks:

      A male Redhead has joined the party in the central Cape! I'm not too
      experienced with the ducks that are rare down here, but I'm guessing this is
      a nonbreeding/eclipse plumage adult male. The attached pic shows it is not
      a breeding male. Too much brown in sides and back (gray in breeding). You
      can see some gray coming in the shoulder (scapulars). Blue-gray bill is
      very cool! The female Canvasback was still present. The Redhead and the
      Canvasback are usually pretty close together. They spent time both sleeping
      at the edge of the algae mat, and out in the center of the pond. This is a
      great chance to compare the Ring-necked Ducks and Lesser Scaup relatively
      close. A scope is even better! I was there from about 4 PM till 5 PM on
      12/4/08.

      I saw a HUGE raft of 2000+ ducks in the river just north of the Mid-Point
      Bridge close to Four Mile Cove Park in Cape Coral.

      CE

      http://www.birdpatrol.org
      http://www.rookerybay.org/Bird-Festival-2009.html