CANVASBACK in Cape Coral!!!

    Message 1 of 2 , Dec 2, 2008

      Vince McGrath has struck again with an OUTSTANDING find for Lee County and
      Cape Coral. I coincidentally (the person did not know about this report)
      heard today they have been coming in to CROW from the NW Cape in recent
      years. Vince found this retention pond at the intersection of Cultural Park
      Blvd and SE 10th St (just north and across Cultural Blvd from the City Hall
      building) yesterday, with about 200 Lesser Scaup and Ring-necked Ducks. He
      found 4 Canvasbacks with them! I was only able to find one (in picture)
      today on my lunch break. It was at the south end of the pond, which is the
      best viewing area due to the direction of the sun this time of year, and the
      cattails, trees, and vegetation that surrounds the pond. The adjacent lot
      is vacant, so you can park there. Google map "Cultural Park Blvd & SE 10th
      St, Cape Coral, FL" for directions. You can see the retention pond on the
      google map!

      http://www.birdpatrol.org
      http://www.rookerybay.org/Bird-Festival-2009.html
      Message 2 of 2 , Dec 4, 2008
        Update on the Canvasbacks from Kim Cressman:

        When I got there (Wednesday), the female canvasback was hanging out, and by
        the time I left at sunset, 2 males (1 immature) had joined her. Very, very
        cool.
        Mallards and mottled ducks were all hanging out. Still tons of ring-necked
        ducks and lesser scaup; coots and moorhens, and possibly some grebes, but
        they were off in a dark corner and I got distracted before I could get a
        closer look.

        Kim