STA5-Clewiston Checklist and CBC Invitation

  • Margaret England
    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 30, 2008
      Birders, Compilers, and Photographers are invited to the 2nd Annual STA5-Clewiston CBC to be held on Saturday Jan. 3rd for the a.m. or all day count.
      The West Team will have a chance to bird at Chuck Obern's Organic  from a swamp buggy and  travel by car to other birding hotspots along 835.
      The East Team will be birding along the Miami Canal  south of Rogers Road and along Manley Ditch Road on the  north side of Rotenberg Wildlife Management Area.
      The Blumberg Road Team will cover Blumberg in the am. and then join the STA5 team in the afternoon.
      The STA5 team is being expanded in order to better cover the 8 square mile storm water treatment area.
      Quality Electric on 835 south of Clewiston  has volunteered the use of their office for our staging area and post count BBQ.
      For information about the STA5-Clewiston FLSO CBC or the upcoming STA5 tours contact:
      Margret England
      Our new website is under construction.
      Please check our current website for updates:
      Location:     Stormwater Treatment Area 5
      Observation date:     11/29/08
      Notes:     Cassin's probable.  #165 Added to STA5 checklist: Barred Owl
      Number of species:     77
      Participants: 31
      Black-bellied Whistling-Duck     300
      Fulvous Whistling-Duck     400
      American Wigeon
      Mottled Duck
      Blue-winged Teal
      Northern Shoveler
      Northern Pintail     200
      Green-winged Teal
      Ring-necked Duck
      Ruddy Duck     2
      Pied-billed Grebe
      Double-crested Cormorant
      American Bittern     4
      Great Blue Heron
      Great Egret
      Snowy Egret
      Little Blue Heron
      Tricolored Heron
      Cattle Egret
      Green Heron
      White Ibis
      Glossy Ibis
      Roseate Spoonbill   (less than 10)
      Wood Stork
      Black Vulture
      Turkey Vulture
      SNAIL KITE     5
      Northern Harrier
      Cooper's Hawk     1
      Red-shouldered Hawk
      Red-tailed Hawk
      Crested Caracara     3
      American Kestrel     15
      KING RAIL     1
      Sora     5
      PURPLE SWAMPHEN    6+
      Purple Gallinule     1
      Common Moorhen
      American Coot
      Limpkin     1
      Black-necked Stilt     50+
      Spotted Sandpiper
      Greater Yellowlegs
      Lesser Yellowlegs
      Least Sandpiper
      Long-billed Dowitcher
      Wilson's Snipe
      Mourning Dove
      Common Ground-Dove
      BARRED OWL     (#165 for the STA-5 checklist)
      Belted Kingfisher
      Eastern Phoebe
      CASSIN'S KINGBIRD (Probable..)     1
      Western Kingbird     5
      Loggerhead Shrike
      White-eyed Vireo
      Tree Swallow
      Northern Rough-winged Swallow
      CAVE SWALLOW     2   (Excellent looks at these birds as they perched on wires in good light)
      BARN SWALLOW     2
      Blue-gray Gnatcatcher     2
      Gray Catbird     4
      Northern Mockingbird