Hickey's Creek Mitigation Park 4/21/02

  • Vincent Lucas
    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 21, 2002
      Greetings:

      This Sunday morning, April 21, 2002, before the heat of the day, Naples
      birders Don Fairbanks, Ken Klotz and I scouted out a brand spanking new
      Lee County Park. It's called Hickey's Creek Mitigation Park and is
      located 8.8 miles east off of Exit 25 of I-75 (S.R. 80 aka Palm Beach
      Blvd.) near Alva. Look for the entrance and parking lot on the south side
      of the road. There is a sign. What a beautiful new park! The facilities
      are nice and the trails look really great and afford interesting little
      vistas of Hickey Creek (naturally) as well as pine flatwoods habitat.
      This place is well worth checking out. It is quite possibly the LAST
      location where Florida Scrub-Jays can be found in Lee County. We saw a
      bird collecting nesting material so evidently they nest at this location.
      We didn't have a great many birds today and hardly any migrants, but it
      was a great experience nonetheless. There is good potential here. Here's
      our day list:

      Great Egret
      Snowy Egret (outside of park)
      Cattle Egret
      Black-crowned Night-Heron
      Wood Stork
      Black Vulture
      Turkey Vulture
      Osprey
      Swallow-tailed Kite (outside of park)
      Red-shouldered Hawk
      Red-tailed Hawk
      Common Moorhen (outside of park)
      Limpkin(!) along Hickey Creek
      Eurasian-Collared Dove
      Mourning Dove
      Chimney Swift
      Red-headed Woodpecker (outside of park)
      Red-bellied Woodpecker
      Downy Woodpecker
      Pileated Woodpecker
      Great Crested Flycatcher
      Loggerhead Shrike
      White-eyed Vireo
      Blue Jay
      Florida Scrub-Jay (carrying nesting material)
      Fish Crow
      Carolina Wren
      Gray Catbird
      Northern Mockingbird
      Northern Parula
      Common Yellowthroat
      Eastern Towhee
      Northern Cardinal
      Eastern Meadowlark (along park boundary)
      Common Grackle

      A few leps:

      Least Skipper (along Hickey Creek)
      Red Admiral