STA5 Hendry County 20 miles south of Lake Okeechobee

  • Margaret England
    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 19, 2008

      Subject: STA5 Hendry County 20 miles south of Lake Okeechobee

      Here's yesterday's STA5 list. We had 50+  species in the first hour.  We are waiting for photos to ID one of the kingbirds which was either a Western or Cassin's.

      Dates for the upcoming tours is at end of this message.
       The 2nd annual  STA5-Clewison (FLSO) Chistmas Bird Count will be Sat. Jan. 3rd. Volunteers are invited to help with the  STA5  survey and with other sites in our circle.

      Contact for STA5 or CBC STA5-Clewiston (FLSO),
      Margaret England
      LaBelle
      Hendry-Glades Audubon Website: http://www.orgsites.com/fl/hgaudubon/

      Location:     Stormwater Treatment Area 5
      Observation date:     10/18/08
      Number of species:     64
      Participants: 20

      Mottled Duck
      Blue-winged Teal   >750
      Ring-necked Duck   1
      Ruddy Duck   2
      Pied-billed Grebe
      Double-crested Cormorant
      Anhinga
      Least Bittern   1
      Great Blue Heron
      Great Blue Heron (White form)    1
      Great Egret
      Snowy Egret
      Little Blue Heron
      Tricolored Heron
      Cattle Egret
      Green Heron
      Black-crowned Night-Heron
      White Ibis
      Glossy Ibis
      Roseate Spoonbill   2
      Wood Stork
      Black Vulture
      Turkey Vulture
      Osprey
      Snail Kite   3 (one was banded). We haven't seen SNKIs at STA-5 for several months.
      Northern Harrier    3-4
      Cooper's Hawk    1
      Red-shouldered Hawk
      American Kestrel
      Peregrine Falcon     4
      Sora     >5 (all but one heard).
      Purple Swamphen    8
      Purple Gallinule     >25 (Seen mostly eating the flowerheads off the tops of Alligator Flag)
      Common Moorhen
      American Coot
      Limpkin
      Killdeer
      Black-necked Stilt    2
      Greater Yellowlegs
      Lesser Yellowlegs
      Marbled Godwit    1 (Second record for STA-5)
      Least Sandpiper
      Mourning Dove
      Common Ground-Dove
      Barn Owl     2
      Belted Kingfisher
      Western Kingbird   3
      Loggerhead Shrike
      White-eyed Vireo
      Northern Rough-winged Swallow    >250 (Very common at STA-5)
      Barn Swallow   <10
      Marsh Wren     1
      Blue-gray Gnatcatcher
      Gray Catbird
      Northern Mockingbird
      Palm Warbler
      American Redstart
      Common Yellowthroat
      Eastern Towhee
      Northern Cardinal
      Red-winged Blackbird
      Eastern Meadowlark
      Common Grackle
      Boat-tailed Grackle

      2008:    November 15, November 29, December 13, December 27

      2009 Schedule

      January 3, 2009(Christmas Bird Count: Teams)

      January 17, January 31, 2009

      Everyone is welcome to join the Feb. 14-16th tours. Your help with bird counts while birding in Hendry-Glades County

      during the Great Backyard Bird Count is not required in order to participate in the Feb. 14-15 tours, but will be greatly appreciated.

      February 14, 2009 Morning session (Great Backyard Count Weekend), February 14 2nd Tour: Afternoon/Sunset Photography Session (Great Backyard Count Fun Weekend)

      February 15,February 16, 2009 (Great Backyard Count Fun Weekend)

      February 28, March 7, March 21,, 2009

       April 4,  Big O Birding Festival April 3-4, 2009: Clewiston Florida with tours and events in Hendry and Glades County

       April 18, 2009

      May 9, 2009 North American Migration Count (Correct Date)

      June 20, July 11, August 15, September 19, October 17, 2009